To have a single story means when people think things about you or a group of people based on a story they heard of them. For example , one time I was with my cousin and he dressed kind of like not nice or fancy and we walked into this diamond store to buy my tia something and the lady working there called the security guard. My cousin got all mad and we left because they were assuming that he was going to steal something just because he didn't have on very nice clothes. this happens a lot and is sad because that person you're assuming something about could be like really cool or could be a good person.
A single story in my community is when this white lady came to out house because she was meeting my mom about something and she asked this man " Do you know where this house is?" and the man didn't speak English so the girl got all scared and told my mom she didn't want to go to our neighborhood again if we could go to her house. Most white people or rich people think like black or Hispanic people are dangerous or bad but , the sad thing is some of them are and it's just proving the rich people right. I know not all of us are but , some are and it like stereotypes everyone and that's not very fair for people who try to have a better life. Instead of people trying to get to know Hispanic or black people they just stereotype them and that isn't right. The could like get to know kids who are Hispanic or black and realize not all of us are like that instead of assuming things , but they don't.
A single story I've heard about another community is that all Muslim people are terrorist. I heard it from my tia because we were on a plane and she got all scared because a Muslim man got on too. I believed this until , I met a Muslim man and realized all of them aren't like that. Some games can like teach people how Muslims , blacks , Mexicans , or any other race that people stereotype aren't what they think they are.
No comments:
Post a Comment